Thursday 16 October 2014

the cone man cometh.........


morning light on the English Channel



I was down on the beach at dawn this week.

Fortunately dawn is getting later, but I had to forgo my breakfast when I saw a pink tinge in the sky and knew that any proper photographer would already be on the beach, waiting for the light, rather than drinking tea under the duvet and trying to talk themselves out of bed.

I wanted to see how the rock men were getting on rebuilding the sea defences.

The tide was far too high up to allow me to walk unnoticed along the shore. I therefore decided to be a law abiding citizen, observing the action from a safe distance, well away from the dangerous rocks.

The light on the sea was soft and silvery. Low in the sky. Metallic. Calm.

morning light on the channel

The seagulls were entirely oblivious to the action around them.

The lorries and diggers studiously ignored.


Seagulls, rocks and lorries

I crept towards the action, but heard an engine approaching across the beach.

I was in trouble again..........

Cone man had arrived, probably to tell me to keep away from the rocks.



cone man 


I soon realised that he was not bothered by my presence. After all I was not crossing any invisible lines into a 'no-go' area.


He was merely here to put his cones out.



Cone


He had three to arrange on the beach.



Three cones

He did a fine job, even if one was a little on the small side.


They formed an orderly line.


Ready to keep people away from the dangerous rocks.


Optimism in life is a good quality to have.


Cone man then hopped back onto his quad bike and was gone; into the sunrise.




Cone man returns from whence he cometh


Men and dogs arrived for their daily exercise.





man, dog, cone


The seagulls studiously ignored them all.




man, dogs and gulls


 I felt very hungry and went off to find some food.


all day breakfast


Cone man will return at dusk to fetch his cones.

I will return at low tide to see what I can see.




And so it will go on.



2 comments:

  1. very zen

    what a job, trying to stem the flow of the tide and the dog walkers of Camber Sands.

    ReplyDelete