Monday 2 March 2015

life choices in the Lofoten islands - food or photography?

snow in Harstad
Other half (OH) and I are in Norway.

OH has been persuaded to join me on a photographic adventure to the arctic circle.

He normally stays at home when I go to cold, wet and rainy places. He likes his destinations hot and sweaty. I am the reverse, relishing nothing more than packing a bag full of thermal underwear, waterproof trousers and my hiking boots.

I have wanted to visit the Lofoten Isalnds in Norway for some time; ever since I saw images by David Ward from one of his tours there a few years back.

I have been harping on about going there for a year or two……… and to my delight, OH has agreed to come too. I need him to help if I get stuck in a snowdrift. The weather can be very unpredictable up here.

I have learnt a few things since we arrived.


  1. I would rather be out making photos than eating.
  2. OH would rather be eating than out making photos.
  3. There is no shortage of spectacular scenery to make photos from.
  4. THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT LACK OF FOOD AND HOT DRINKS IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD AND RATIONS MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO RUN LOW.

Oh dear.






We started in Harstad, where it became clear that snow is everywhere, even in the town centre. This is the arctic circle, after all. Where there is a plentiful supply of sheet ice. We trod carefully.



Harsted






We made it to Vinmonopolet, to acquire liquor. 

We made it to the supermarket to get sandwiches.

We made it to the historic church. It was closed.

I could happily have taken photos of the trees, church, graveyard etc. But OH wanted to see the museum, and having dragged him all this way it hardly seemed kind to deny him his bit of history. He loves history. The older the better.

But the museum was closed.

We decided not to camp, and started our journey to destination number two.


The only sign in English in Harstad. As if…….





Time to get on the road, get to the scenery.

The scenery was snowy. The snow was piled high on the sides of the road. There was nowhere to stop and take pictures. And where the was, the view was obscured by trees.







Lunchtime.

A picnic in a lay-by. Standing on a sheet of ice.

Food on a table of snow.





lunchtime.

This is not a place for fine dining.

This is the land of fish.

Fishermen, fishing villages, fresh cod and dried cod.

Fish going all around the world.



We visited Myre and Nyksund, in Vesteralen.

A place where signs leave little room for the imagination.






The air smells of fish.



Myre

Fresh cod is shipped around the world or dried to make stockfish; unsalted dried cod.






cod drying on a wooden rack 







stockfish 

Even the music festivals revolve around cod.



Codstock poster on stockfish drying racks







Myre fishing boat heads out to sea.





Nyksund -  a deserted fishing village



This is not a place for fine dining. You can't get fish and chips, or even a cup of tea.


OH gave up and cooked us  some eggs and bacon in the microwave.



fine dining a la microwave


I stopped worrying about about food and decided to go out and do some photography.





before breakfast at Sortland

before dinner in Svolvaer


Tomorrow night I am designated chef.


I fancy toast, jam and some green vegetables.





Lofoten in winter ( after lunch)














No comments:

Post a Comment