Saturday 23 May 2015

An afternoon at Photo London 2015



Abraham Oghobase - Untitled No. 4

Photo London 2015 at Somerset House.

I immersed myself for 4 hours yesterday.

I missed all the talks, the VIP lounge and the book signings, and concentrated on searching out images that moved me.

There is so much to see in the endless rooms of photographic works from high end galleries.

Not to mention the fascinating exhibition "Beneath the Surface" from the V&A archive, and the chance to get up very close to some of Sebastien Salgado's prints from 'Genesis in Platinum'.


Here are a few of my personal favourites from artists that I have newly discovered from my visit.



  • Tamas Dezso represented by the Photographer's Gallery .


His work for the series 'Notes for an Epilogue' describes the 'disintegration or spiritual tradition and physical heritage in Romania'.


from the series 'Notes for an Epilogue'


another by Tamas; not in the show






  • The intimate monochrome images of Pentti Sammallahti, also at The photographer's Gallery










cat

dog

Almost every image that he makes has a bird, animal or human element.




  • Masao Yamamoto


The highlight of my day was the discovery of Masao Yamamoto. His works fit in the palm of your hand, and the quality of the prints quite breathtaking.



The exquisite prints from Yasao Yamamoto



The image below is from his series Kawa=Flow








  • Martina Lindqvist


Also at the Photographer's Gallery was the series "Neighbours" by Martina Lindqvist.












And finally at The Flowers Gallery


  • Edmund Clark from his series on the end of the war in Afghanistan 'The Mountains of Majeed'




'The Mountains of Majeed 4' by Edmund Clark


And outside on the balcony, overlooking the Thames.



The Mountains of Majeed 8 by Edmund Clark


Yet again I am inspired to aim for images of better quality. With stories to tell.

And I have booked the piano tuner; something I have been promising to do for over 2 years.

For unlike this guy, I do have a piano.






4 comments:

  1. *Enlightinin' thanks..

    Your aesthetic shows through your choices..

    In accord..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so envious! - can't make it to London for this, unfortunately. Loving all these shots but the one that made me smile was the Pennti Sammallahti one of the dog and and the tree. Sometimes I think there isn't enough humour in professional photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for humour in photography. I totally agree. Eliot Erwitt springs to mind.

      Delete
  3. Hi Caroline, I was there most of Saturday too! What a great show, I could have spent days there. Like you I was struck by Pentti Sammallahti (& have a photo of the same wall) & Martina Lindqvist. I also loved Elizabeth Williams 'Beneath the Surface' (& I met Rankin but that's another story!)

    ReplyDelete